Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

carreca
Returning Member

Amending from Standard deduction to itemized deductions on a basic 1040 (married filing jointly)

I didn't do a thorough job of collecting my documents as I missed reporting 2021 mortgage interest of $1,100 (as well as $45 of earned interest). With this amendment, I will be only $55 shy of the Standard Deduction ($27,800).   How much of a difference will it make if I search for additional expenses, charitable contributions and any other itemized deductions to push me over the $27,800 limit?  For example, if I found $28,000  total itemized deductions, would it be an additional $200 refund or more??  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Amending from Standard deduction to itemized deductions on a basic 1040 (married filing jointly)

Additional deductions are subtracted from your taxable income. They are not directly added to your refund. How much of a difference it makes depends on what tax bracket you are in. For example, if you are in the 22% tax bracket, an additional $200 of deductions (above the standard deduction) will increase your refund by 22% of $200, which is $44.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies