Amended tax after new SSN for spouse

I got married in 2022. Until Apr 18 2023, my spouse neither had ITIN nor SSN. So I filed taxes just for myself as single filing. Two weeks later (May 2) my spouse received SSN. I amended the taxes by filing as Married filing Jointly. But, it got rejected by the IRS for:: 

Incorrect Spouse Information
The IRS is rejecting your return because your spouse's last name or Social Security number doesn't match the IRS records.

I verified my spouse’s information and they look fine.

Does the IRS take more time to have newly generated SSNs to reflect at their end?

Please advise on when I have to amend 

Amended tax after new SSN for spouse

That might be the case. Mail your amended return. It might help to include a copy of your wife’s social security card. 

conniem123

Amended tax after new SSN for spouse

Hi Smreddy34

I hope you are having a good day!

The rejection for electronic filing means your tax return was not able to "get into the IRS door".  The IRS records do take time to receive the updates from the Social Security Administration for newly issued social security numbers.  How much time?  Of course that can vary.  

You can attempt to reefile your tax return in 3-4 weeks.  You may also chose to print and mail your return.  The processing time for a mailed tax return is longer than for an electronic filed return, but it is unknown how long you will be waiting for the SSN to be in the IRS database to allow the electronic filing.

I hope this information if helpful!

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing