Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended Return & Refund for Overpayment of Underpayment Penalty

The day after using TurboTax Desktop to eFile my Fed and State returns, I realized I had neglected to include estimated tax payments made during the year, so that TT computed much higher underpayment penalties scheduled for immediate ACH payment. So I used TT Desktop to file amended return 1040-X and the corresponding State form. I included in 1040-X Part II, Explanation of Changes, that I wanted a refund for my omitted estimated tax payments plus the excess underpayment penalty I was paying electronically with my original 1040 return. I felt I needed to add this explanation because Line 22 of the 1040-X requested only a refund for the omitted Estimated Tax payments, but not my overpayment of the Underpayment Penalty.

As I wait up to 20 weeks for IRS to process my Amended Return, I wonder if my 1040-X explanation will be sufficient to obtain a refund that includes both the overpayment of tax and the overpayment of the penalty.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Amended Return & Refund for Overpayment of Underpayment Penalty

You can go to the IRS website and use ID.ME, after registering if needed,  to check your account transcript for 2023. If properly identified when made they will show up. If the IRS has the record then there was no need for an amended return since the iRS would have caught the error and recomputed your balance due and underpayment penalty. If they're not, then the amended return will be ignored. you would need to get the records for those payments and contact the iRS.  

for direct pay, credit or debit card there is an identifying number on the statement. if you paid by check you'll need copies of the back where the iD number is 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies