Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend previous tax 2022 return for the loss from characterization

I contributed $5600 to roth IRA and it turned out my taxable income was too high for 2022. $5600 was recharacterized to Traditional IRA which I converted to ROTH IRA without any earning.

$5600 contribution became $5100  at the time of recharacterization due to market condition. It is loss of $500 than earing. Turbotax 2023 asks me to amend 2022 tax filing. How and where do I update to amend?

how do I do that? I looked for new 1099 and I don't see one from the one that did re-characterization (vanguard)

I also plan to do some conversion (from T-R conversion) in 2024 and want to know how to file for the future referrence whether it's loss or earning

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

A 2023 Form 1099-R  for the recharacterization with code R-Recharacterized IRA contribution made for 2022 and this belongs on the 2022 return. But a Form 1099-R with code R will do nothing to your return. You can only report it as mentioned below. Therefore, you can ignore the Form 1099-R with code R.

You will enter the recharacterization when you enter the contribution to the Roth IRA on your 2022 return:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “IRA contributions” 
  3. Click on “Jump to IRA contributions"
  4. Select “Roth IRA
  5. Answer ‘Yes” on the “Roth IRA Contribution” screen
  6. Answer “No” to “Is This a Repayment of a Retirement Distribution
  7. Enter the Roth contribution amount 
  8. Answer “Yes” to the recharacterized question on the “Switch from a Roth To a Traditional IRA?” screen and enter the contribution amount (no earnings or losses) on the next screen.
  9. TurboTax will ask for an explanation statement where it should be stated that the original $xxx.xx plus $xxx.xx earnings (or loss) were recharacterized.
  10. On the screen "Choose Not to Deduct IRA Contributions" answer "Yes" if you are thinking about doing a backdoor Roth. Otherwise select "No". (If you have a retirement plan at work and are over the income limit it will be nondeductible automatically and you only get a warning and then a screen saying $0 is deductible)

If you didn't enter the steps above when you filed your 2022 tax return then you will have to amend your 2022 tax return.

Please see How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion? for details how to enter a conversion on your 2024 tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I understood correctly, 2033 1099-R I received belongs to 2022, not 2023.. 

I added the form to 2023 --> remove from 2023 but amend 2022 with it.

I received two 1099-R.....so both go to 2022 to amend..

is it correct? when you said ignore,

I am not sure if you meant not to do anything at all or ignore in 2023 filing. 

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

To clarify, do both 2023 Form 1099-R have code R in box 7? Only the 2023 Form 1099-R with code R or code P in box 7 belong on the 2022 return.

You do not need to enter the 2023 Form 1099-R with code R anywhere, since when you enter it on your 2022 tax return it will not make any changes to our return. You have to report the recharacterization on your 2022 return in the IRA contribution section as mentioned above.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think i was mistaken. One form has R in the box 7. The other is probably from transfer I made from Vanguard to Fidelity. After recharacterization, I transfer the T-IRA to Fidelity.

Like you said, there was no impact by doing 1099-R. I didn't know I could ignore 1099-R form..Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies