turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jbkeels

Amend 2021 Tax Return to correct Rollover vs. Roth Conversion

My Financial Advisor noticed that I accidently checked a box when disclosing a transfer we made to move money from a Traditional to Roth IRA.  On my taxes I accidently checked it as "Rollover" when I submitted but it needs to be a conversion.  Can this be fixed with a simple amendment or is it more in depth since it changes the amount of money that should be taken out?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

did you specify a tax-free rollover?

Did you have basis in your Trad IRA.?

In any case, if dollar amounts are changing, and you amend, that will take care of it.

@jbkeels 

It is not too simple if you had basis because you must track the basis correctly.

jbkeels

It was on section 4a IRA Distributions, taxable amount (4b - $0) - and marked as Rollover

@jbkeels wrote:

It was on section 4a IRA Distributions, taxable amount (4b - $0) - and marked as Rollover

You need to file an amended return.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/amend-return/how-to-file-an-amended-return-with-the-irs/L6kO691...

You need the 2021 software, and a copy of your original 2021 tax data file.  Here are some instructions.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

You will owe income tax on the converted amount.  You will also owe interest and possibly a late payment penalty, since the tax was due 13 months ago.  Turbotax may offer or recommend to calculate a penalty and include it with your payment.  I would decline if possible, and wait to see if the IRS sends you a bill for penalties and interest.  At that point, you can request a waiver of the penalty for cause, or if this is the first time you owed a penalty.  The interest can't be waived, but if the IRS reduces the penalty, the interest will be recalculated. 

If you enter the proper code (Box 7) from your 1099-R, your tax return will probably right itself.

Do this after you start AMEND.

print a copy of your original return for your records before you start AMEND.

@jbkeels 

@fanfare wrote:

If you enter the proper code (Box 7) from your 1099-R, your tax return will probably right itself.

Do this after you start AMEND.

print a copy of your original return for your records before you start AMEND.

@jbkeels 

I don't think it's a code issue.  The 1099-R from the source IRA won't know if the taxpayer performed a non-taxable rollover, a taxable conversion, or a taxable withdrawal.  It appears here that the taxpayer originally indicated a non-taxable rollover instead of a taxable conversion. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies