Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amazon Vine received less than $600, other circumstances

I'm a more recent viner and I'm incredibly confused with how to file what I received from Vine in 2023. I'm a graduate student who receives no financial compensation for her work (and I haven't earned money since mid 2022) but I got an offer to join Vine in summer of 2023. The taxable amount that I have from Vine in 2023 is $576.59. Given that this is less than $600, no 1099-NEC was generated by Amazon. I've tried to do a lot of research through the IRS website and turbotax forums on how I should file in this situation but I'm really not sure what to do/how to proceed and would appreciate any advice. Like I really didn't receive any income at all besides what I got from Vine, which I personally think is questionable as income. Regardless of my own personal interpretations, I would appreciate any guidance on what to do next as the whole hobby vs. self-employment, 1099 vs. 1040 is really confusing me. You can tell that I'm not in graduate school for business lol.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Amazon Vine received less than $600, other circumstances

Generally, income from Vine is considered to be self-employment income.  This is because you are given an item of value in exchange for a service (the review that you write).  

Typically, taxpayers with net earnings from self-employment that exceeds $400 must file a tax return and pay self-employment tax.  

Vine income doesn't have a lot of opportunity to claim expenses against it, but it does have some.  For example you could deduct things such as:

• A prorated portion of internet bills used to write reviews
  • Subscriptions to things like Grammarly, to the extent that they are used for your reviews
  • Miles driven to pick up items if you have to get them from a post office or other pickup location

It's difficult to justify calling this income hobby income, except in a few cases, such as someone who collects items and never actually writes a review (but we know this person doesn't get to continue in the program.) 

If you report the full amount as self-employment income, you will owe tax of around $90.  

Only you can really decide if it is hobby income for you, but for most Viners, this activity meets the definition of self-employment activity.  If you decide you want to report it as hobby income, and that is your only income for the year, you don't have a filing obligation.  Here's a bit more about hobby income: 4 Tax Tips for Money-Making Hobbies.

I file my own Vine income as self-employment due to the "something of value in exchange for a service" logic, if that helps to know.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies