Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amazon Vine 1099-NEC how do I report income and adjustments on Turbo Tax

Extract from  IRS website "About Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation"

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/interest-divid[product key removed]-of-income/1099-misc-independent-contrac...

"If you're not an employee of the payer, and you're not in a self-employed trade or business, you should report the income on line 8j of Schedule 1 (Form 1040), Additional Income and Adjustments to Income [PDF] and any allowable expenses on Schedule A (Form 1040), Itemized Deductions."

On the 1099-NEC itself IRS says:

"If you are not an employee but the amount in box 1 is not self-employment (SE) income (for example, it is income from a sporadic activity or a hobby), report the amount shown in box 1 on the “Other income” line
(on Schedule 1 (Form 1040)). "

I am in the Amazon Vine program to review products that I receive for free. I do not run it as a business, I am not self employed, I do not receive any cash compensation,  I do not sell any of the products received. 

Following the IRS instructions I want to report my Amazon Vine 1099-NEC income on Schedule 1 Part I Line 8j and report adjustments on Schedule 1 Part II line 24z.

Income would be the value of the products provided to me and reported by Amazon on my 1099-NEC.

Adjustments would be the depreciation of the value of the products I received in the process of doing the review. Not writing sufficient reviews would get me kicked off the program. Reviewing the products means I have to use it for a few months write reviews and update reviews based on my experience. Once my reviews are complete, the product usually has value though it less than when it was new.  Some consumable items would have no value left but most products would.

How do I get TurboTax to do allow me to report both the income and adjustment on Schedule 1 for a 1099-NEC?

I have the value of the products from Amazon and now need to make an adjustment to the income for the depreciation of the products.  The difference will be my "Other Income". 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

First of all, since you are providing a service for compensation in the form of merchandise,  and what you are involved with doesn't appear to resemble a hobby, the IRS is likely to consider it self-employment income. As such, it is recommended that you report it as if it was a business.

I don't know how the products you receive are valued, as reported on the form 1099-NEC that you receive. However, if you feel they are over-reporting the value, you can make an expense entry for the business to compensate for that. The only problem you will have is coming up with a way to make an objective estimate of the amount by which the reported income is overstated. You will need to document your method and keep it on file in case you get audited by the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It's not a business. I do not do it for profit. I cannot sell the products for 6 months. By the time I can sell the product the household/consumer products are close to worthless. I don't intend to sell them all at. I get no cash from Amazon and most of the products are not sellable - but you are suggesting that I will pay  income tax and self employment tax on something done sporadically and not for profit? Does not make any sense.  I am willing to pay income tax on the value of the item less depreciation that occurs during the process of and the duration of the review.

Humor me  - just tell me how specifically how I can get Turbo Tax to make an entry in Schedule 1 Part II section "Other Adjustments".

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

First and foremost, please be aware that we are tax experts and we are here to assist you by providing tax advice. 

Tax advice is just that, sharing how we interpret tax laws so that you, the consumer, don't get a letter from the IRS. 

With that said, the IRS resurrected Form 1099-NEC a couple years ago. Before that, payments were lumped into Form 1099-MISC which covered Self-Employment as well as a whole array of other type of payments. The IRS wants income that conforms to being treated as Self-Employment CLEAR, so payers, such as Amazon, are instructed to use Form 1099-NEC (Non-Employee Compensation) for payments made to Sub-Contractors. These are payments that are considered Self-Employment compensation, paid to "non-employees". 

Mistakes happen and income could be reported incorrectly by the Payer, so there is a way for a 1099-NEC to be treated as "Hobby Income" if the income is not for work, but rather a hobby. 

Instructions for entering the 1099-NEC so that it shows as hobby income is listed below. 

This will put it on Schedule 1 as you requested above. 

Be aware that if the 1099-NEC is reported as Hobby Income the IRS might look at your return more closely. 

Here is how the IRS describes a hobby. 

Reporting the income as a hobby means you will pay Income tax, but not Self-Employment Tax on that income. 

There is no legitimate "Adjustment", such as depreciation, that you can make to the income if you report it as Hobby Income rather than Self-Employment, it just isn't in the tax code. Only a Self-Employed Taxpayer can use expenses and depreciation. 

You might want to think about whether reviewing products for Amazon is worth the hassle. 

1. Wages & Income 
  2. Other Common Income (BELOW Self-Employment NOT IN THE SELF-EMPLOYMENT SECTION)
  3. Form 1099-NEC    Start
  4. Add 1099-NEC 
  5. Enter the 1099-NEC
  6. Select “This is not money earned as an employee or self-employed individual, it is from a sporadic activity or hobby
  7. DONE 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks! Understood, appreciate the insight.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies