Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am outside of united sates and my bank account is closed. Can anyone suggest me how can i get my refund? Can i deposit it into my friend’s account?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Am outside of united sates and my bank account is closed. Can anyone suggest me how can i get my refund? Can i deposit it into my friend’s account?

The IRS will only deposit tax refunds into U.S. bank accounts, not to foreign accounts.

You can apply your refund to next year’s taxes to reduce any out of pocket tax payment you might have in the next year. 

other options

How to Cash a Federal Income Tax Refund Without a Bank Account

• Opt for Prepaid Cards
  • Get Help from a Relative or Friend You can sign a federal tax refund check over to this person but as above they need to check with the bank. Some banks may refuse and depending on the bank's policy, it might require the check to clear before your relative can access the funds.

You'll need to sign the check over to your relative by endorsing the back and writing the words "Pay to the order of," followed by his name. He will also need to sign the check. There are no rules preventing you from signing over a government check. Direct deposit is probably not possible since it'll be your name on the deposit but your friend's name on the a/c so many if not all US banks would return the DD to the IRS. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies