neha1

Am I too late?

I filed an extension on my taxes in the spring and am just completing them now. I intended to make solo 401k and HSA contributions as well as convert a traditional 401k to a Roth 401k last year. Is it too late to do these for tax year 2020?

macuser_22

Am I too late?

Yes.   Those had to be completed by Dec, 31, 2020.  An extension is only to file the paperwork. 

Mike9241

Am I too late?

yes, you are too late for contributing to HSA or SOLO 401(k) for 2020. the latest date was 5/17/2021. however, if you filed a timely extension for your 1040 then you have until 10/15/2021 to contribute to a SOLO 401(k) but not your HSA.

you can only convert a traditional 401(k) (you're an employee) to a ROTH 401(k) if your plan allows it but it can be done at any time. you will owe income taxes on the amount converted.

neha1

Am I too late?

Thank you, super helpful!

Am I too late?

Your 401(k) conversion would be reported as of the date it happens.  It can't be backdated like the other items you listed.