Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zxoxz
Returning Member

Am I obligated to fill "Mortgage Interest and Refinancing" and "Property (Real Estate) Taxes" as well as other deduction sections if I'm not going to itemize?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Am I obligated to fill "Mortgage Interest and Refinancing" and "Property (Real Estate) Taxes" as well as other deduction sections if I'm not going to itemize?

No, but please read on.

If you know that you will not Itemize Deductions, then the only time (but see below) that you might want to enter something is if you made one or more cash contributions in 2020 and want to be able to take the $300 deduction on line 10b on the 1040. 

In this case, all you need to enter are the cash contributions (no more than $300). NOTE: the second half of getting this deduction will come in the Federal Review when TurboTax realizes that you have cash contributions as well as are taking the Standard Deduction. TurboTax will ask you about this in the Review, and then the deduction will appear.

NOTE: some states have more liberal deductions than the federal return does, like lower standard deductions, certain deductions allowed all the time, and so on. In these cases, we ask taxpayers to enter their deductions on the federal return, because the deductions will flow down to the state returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

No, but please read on.

If you know that you will not Itemize Deductions, then the only time (but see below) that you might want to enter something is if you made one or more cash contributions in 2020 and want to be able to take the $300 deduction on line 10b on the 1040. 

In this case, all you need to enter are the cash contributions (no more than $300). NOTE: the second half of getting this deduction will come in the Federal Review when TurboTax realizes that you have cash contributions as well as are taking the Standard Deduction. TurboTax will ask you about this in the Review, and then the deduction will appear.

NOTE: some states have more liberal deductions than the federal return does, like lower standard deductions, certain deductions allowed all the time, and so on. In these cases, we ask taxpayers to enter their deductions on the federal return, because the deductions will flow down to the state returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies