Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

akelly93

Am I Dependent?

I'm 23 and my parents have been able to claim me as dependent in the past because I've always been a fulltime student. However, I graduated last Spring and was therefore only a fulltime student for 4 months out of the year. I did take one class in the Fall, but I was less than halftime. I still live with my parents and they support me, but I also make more than the $4,050/Yr. that would allow them to claim me as a dependent relative. Can my parents still claim me as dependent or do I have to file as independent?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NewGuy

Am I Dependent?

Unless you were a enrolled as a full time student for at least part of any 5 months during the year, then you no longer qualify as a dependent child.  You could have started school 31 Jan and ended 1 May and met this test. 

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000220890

View solution in original post

4 Replies
NewGuy

Am I Dependent?

Unless you were a enrolled as a full time student for at least part of any 5 months during the year, then you no longer qualify as a dependent child.  You could have started school 31 Jan and ended 1 May and met this test. 

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000220890

akelly93

Am I Dependent?

Thank you for the information. I started mid January and my graduation date was beginning of May so based on your definition I'm still a dependent correct?
NewGuy

Am I Dependent?

You meet the IRS rule for determining a full time student: "Student defined.    To qualify as a student, your child must be, during some part of each of any 5 calendar months of the year."  Assuming your parents provided more than half of your support and you are not filing a joint return with anyone else, then you should qualify as a dependent.
akelly93

Am I Dependent?

Great, thank you for your assistance!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies