Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Also, how do I differentiate between "total ordinary dividends" (box 1a), "qualified dividends" (box 1b), and "total capital gain distr." (box 2a)? No form, less than $10

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
jtax
Level 10

Also, how do I differentiate between "total ordinary dividends" (box 1a), "qualified dividends" (box 1b), and "total capital gain distr." (box 2a)? No form, less than $10

The statements from your broker for the months you got the income should show you the securities involved and what type of income was. Unless it says "capital gain distribution" (possibly abbreviated cryptically), then it is a dividend and you can leave 2a blank (or enter 0).

Qual divs are harder. For under $10 I wouldn't bother. Just leave that box blank (or enter 0). You might pay a max of $4 extra (if you have hundreds of thousands of dollar of income, maybe $2 if you have normal income.) If you want to get it write this article from Fidelity describes what a qualified dividend is. If it is from a mutual fund there is probably no way of know without asking the fund.

https://www.fidelity.com/tax-information/tax-topics/qualified-dividends

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies