Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chris91
Returning Member

Already filed in info on turbotax website. If i purchase the desktop app, can i pick up where i left off or do i start over?

So after almost finished filling out my tax on turbotax web, i found it would be cheaper to buy the desktop app from retailer such as costco. If i choose to use the desktop version, do i have to start over filling all the info i already entered into the web version? or can i log into my account and pick up where i left off?

thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Already filed in info on turbotax website. If i purchase the desktop app, can i pick up where i left off or do i start over?

If you purchase and install the desktop version on your computer, then you have to start over from scratch. There is *NO* physical connection of any type between the CD version and the online version. They are two independent and physically separate programs. that do not talk to or communicate with each other.

If you have already paid for the online version, then understand when you go out and pay for the desktop version, you will not be refunded what you paid for the online version. Hopefully, you haven't paid for online yet.

chris91
Returning Member

@Carl wrote:

If you purchase and install the desktop version on your computer, then you have to start over from scratch. There is *NO* physical connection of any type between the CD version and the online version. They are two independent and physically separate programs. that do not talk to or communicate with each other.

If you have already paid for the online version, then understand when you go out and pay for the desktop version, you will not be refunded what you paid for the online version. Hopefully, you haven't paid for online yet.

Thanks for the reply and I have not paid for either version because some of my doc won't arrive until next month...(got my W2 today though thats why i started today)

So if I submit my tax return using the CD version, will there be a record on the website? say if i need a copy of my return in the future and I want easy access using turbo...

thanks

Carl
Level 15

No. Like I said, the CD/Desktop program and the online program are two physically separate programs. They do not communicate with or talk to each other in any way. If you use the CD version to prepare your tax return, then the only place the .tax2018 file will exist, will be on your computer and nowhere else, unless you take physical action to make a backup copy - which I highly recommend.

Once your complete and e-file your return and it is processed by the IRS in it's absolute infinite entirety, you  should save your tax retorn in both the .tax2018 default format, and PDF format. Then make a backup of both and store them in a safe place forever. You should also print out a copy of your entire return, to include all worksheets and calculation pages and protect that hard copy to the same degree that you protect your SSN.

Overall, I myself use the CD version because I have a problem with my tax return which has everything needed on it to steal my identity, being stored on a privately owned server that is accessible by the entire planet 24/7/365, of which I have absolutely no control over, and don't even know where that server physically is.  My information is already on a govt owned computer system that is accessible anywhere on the planet, by anyone. I can't control that, even though I don't like it one bit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies