Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After completing my taxes, Is it ok to change filing status in turbotax for a comparison before filing?

Hello:

I completed my taxes using TurboTax Premiere 2023, Married filing jointly, and before I file it, I like to see how it comes out with different filing status - filing separately.

If I copy the .tax2023 file to a new name and reopen it in TurboTax Premiere, can I simply change my filing status to Married Filing Separately without re-entering my income and all my 1099's?   And of course I would also remove my wife's income and all her tax forms.  Would that be accurate to get the married filing joint taxes, or must I start over from scratch as Married Filing Separately, and re-enter everything ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

After completing my taxes, Is it ok to change filing status in turbotax for a comparison before filing?

You can do as you suggest, start with married filing joint and back out your spouse's income and deductions. It can get complicated if she has a lot of income and deductions though, so sometimes it is easier to just start from scratch and just enter your information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies