Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Adult Children living with us

I got a couple of adult children (and a grandchild) living with us. They make their own money (well, not the grandchild, obviously), but let's face it.... the little moochers don't pay rent and eat their share of the food. They claim themselves (and the grandchild, respectively) on their own tax forms. Is there any tax break I can get off the little leaches (the wife won't let me kick them out)?
1 Reply
New Member

Adult Children living with us

The only break the IRS gives taxpayer's relating to moochers is what's called a dependency exemption.  However, they are very stringent regarding the guidelines. If all of the conditions to the IRS test below have been met you would be able to claim an individual on your tax return.

Qualifying Relative

These 4 tests (all of them) will qualify a relative as a dependent:

  • Not Qualifying Child: They are not your or another taxpayer’s “qualifying child” 
  • Gross Income: Dependent has to earn less than $4,050 in 2016.
  • Total Support: You provide more than half of the total support for the year.
  • Member of Household or Relationship: The person (a friend, girlfriend, non blood relative) must live with you all year as a member of your household or be one of the relatives that doesn’t have to live with you (mother, father, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, stepmother, stepfather, your child, stepchild, foster child, adopted child, etc) Note: this list is not all inclusive.

The nice weather is just around the corner, I am sure there a lot of chores you can find for them to tackle!

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies