Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Added a Middle Name

I have been filing US taxes for years as Legal Permanent Resident and by using my Social Security Card's ID. My name (as in my foreign passport and the US driver's license) contains First and Last name only as of now.

This summer, I became the US citizen and got a Naturalization Certificate which reflects not only my First and Last names (there is no change in them) but also a Middle name. So, during the naturalization, I kept my First/Last names and added a Middle name which was not present at any US document before. Despite First and Last names are identical as before - it looks like my full name is considered as changed since I added the middle name.

I have not got my US passport yet (scheduled an appointment to apply for it) neither informed anybody else that my Naturalization Certificate has the middle name in addition to the original First/Last names. I got W2 which reflects just my First/Last name which seems logical because I didn't tell my employer my name is being extended with a middle name (was going to inform them as well as other offices, such as Social Security Administration, for instance after I get the passport with the middle name) yet.

The question:

Do I need to do anything special (including any information update in TurboTax) while filing 2021 taxes given the aforementioned middle name addition which is in progress as I don't have yet any document containing that middle name except the Naturalization Certificate (want to emphasis my current Social Security card is the original one which doesn't have the middle name yet) ? For instance, do I need to tell the employer I'm adding my middle name and they should issue corrected W2 to reflect my middle name is being added and expect them to send me a corrected W2? 

I also will update Social Security Administration to reflect my citizenship status as well as the Middle name later this week/month - do I need to "sync" that process with tax filing process or both of them can go independent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Added a Middle Name

On the tax form there is only a space for a middle initial, not the full middle name. And it doesn't matter whether you include the middle initial or not. The IRS doesn't pay any attention to it.

You do not have to tell your employer to add your middle name. Even if you do ask them to add it, they certainly should not issue a corrected W-2 to add your middle name.

You do not have to coordinate changing your Social Security card with filing your tax return, as long as your first and last names remain the same.

The automated matching done by the IRS computers uses your Social Security number and the first four letters of your last name.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies