Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hohldin

Accumulated Rental Loss carry-forward was calculated incorrectly on 2023

The 2023 federal filing was started April 2024 after the 2022 had been filed April 2023. I discovered a classification error I made on my wife's Federal Disability Annuity on the original 2022 filing. It started after she passed her Minimum Retirement Age (MRA), so it is not taxable. Once I corrected the her Federal Disability Annuity our MFS total income fell below $150,000 and part of the accumulated Rental Income Loss, was allowed ($25,000).

TurboTax did not reduce the accumulated Rental Income Loss balance, so the full $25,000 was included in the 2023 calculation.

This seems like a calculation error due to a lack of re-import of the accumulated remaining Rental Income Loss on Form 8582 once 2022 had been amended.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

do you really mean you filing status was married filing separately. in that case the $150,000 is reduce to $75,000 and the $25,000 is reduced to $0 if you did not live apart for the whole year

hohldin

Mea culpa. We are filing jointly. The 2023 beginning accumulated Rental Income Loss amount does not reflect that $25,000 was used to reduce the total. Seems wrong.
hohldin

How do I correct the apparent data transfer error TurboTax made by not deceasing the available rental income loss after $25,000 was used in 2022?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies