Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accounting for PermRock Royalty Trust

I use Etrade as a brokerage. When I accessed Etrade to get 2020 tax year info automatically in Turbo Tax Premier 2020, it correctly picked up the fact that I had purchased and then sold PermRock Royalty Trust during 2020. But when doing a Smart Check there were about 10 questions that Turbo Tax needed answers to about PermRock Royalty Trust. It was treating it as a sole proprietorship and myself as the owner and was asking questions that do not make sense to me as just a buyer and seller of PRT. 

What do I need to do to make Turbo Tax happy in this regards ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

you owned an interest in a royalty trust. it's always a grantor trust so you are treated as the owner of your interest.   it makes monthly distributions.  the broker may be reporting the info which gets entered on schedule E page 1 as royalty type income.  you'll likely have gross royalties, severance taxes administrative fees and then possibly depletion.  some brokers will defer reporting to the trust which will send you a tax package. 

i have provided a link to its 2020 tax package.  read carefully

http://s22.q4cdn.com/510766723/files/doc_downloads/Tax-Information/2020/PermRock-Royalty-Trust-Tax-B... 

Thanks Mike, I'll check out the link you referenced. I appreciate the fast response.

Bob

Turbo tax is interpreting it as a Schedule C Sole Proprietorship. Then the questions it asks, like business name, street address, whether I've paid out payments that would require sending 1099s, etc. What am I supposed to answer these questions with ? My personal home address ? etc ? 

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Please clarify for the software, does the tax reporting document report it as a PTP, an "oil and gas" publicly traded partnership?  If so, then it would belong on Sch E page 2.

Does it contain K-1s or what type of tax reporting documents?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies