Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accidental early IRA distribution turned rollover

Hi!

I contributed the maximum to my traditional IRA back in early 2023. I am in the middle of filing taxes for year 2023. I accidentally thought that I was ineligible to contribute to IRA, and that the way to rectify the overcontribution was to take a distribution of the amount plus gains, so I did that (in early 2024).

Now I want to re-contribute the max back to my IRA for 2023, and consider the whole thing a rollover, since it's within 60 days. This is what my IRA account provider (vanguard) suggested. But I can't put back the gains, and so I need to report them as income on my 2023 tax return. I did not receive a form 1099-R because the distribution (and re-contribution) happened in 2024. 

First, does all of this make sense, and is the plan to re-contribute (rather than pay an early distribution penalty of 10%) a good one?

Second, how do I report the gains in turbotax? I don't have a 1099-R, and I don't see anywhere else to put that in.

Thank you so much!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Accidental early IRA distribution turned rollover

It would make good sense to make the IRA contribution to save taxes. To report the earnings on the premature contribution in 2023, you need to enter a substitute Form 1099-R in your 2023 tax return. You can do that as follows:

1. Go to the personal income section of TurboTax 
  2. Find the Retirement Plans and Social Security menu option
  3. Start or Update IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)
  4. Choose Add Another 1099-R
  5. Choose I'll type it in myself
  6. On the screen that says Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have choose I need to prepare a Substitute 1099-R
  7. Enter the distribution amount in box 1 of the substitute 1099-R
  8. Enter the earnings in box 2(a)
  9. Enter code "P" in box 7
  10. When asked about the year on the form 1099-R, say it is for the year following the year you are working on

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies