Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

8843 Form Mistake on Visa Status

Hi!I became a resident for tax purposes starting in tax year 2023, but for a variety of reasons, I was misled to file a NR tax form for 2023. I have got the amendment forms ready to go, and am just waiting for the original filed forms to be processed and refile the amendments. But I did miss four years of 8843 forms prior to that, which I am trying to file asap.

1) Do I have to make sure all 8843s are filed before the amendments are filed? The 8843's I believe do not have to be filed with the amended returns and are directed to Texas (which is different from the recipient address for 1040 amendment returns for where I am located)

2) I just mailed out the 8843 forms but realized that for my first time to the U.S., I miswrote my visa from B-1/B-2 to B-2 visa. I even included a statement saying that it was a B-2 visa with the letter, which made it more wrong. It was only for six days and I have been using an F-1 visa since. Should I resend this this at all or for the 8843 form it won't matter due to the purpose of the form? I am unsure if I should intercept the letter, or if I just let it send, how far should I wait to resend the files to avoid confusion. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies