Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jkarney

87k Paid to a General Contractor who I am now suing for Fraud - Can I claim this as theft?

I paid a general contractor a down payment of 87k for an addition to my home. The 87k comprised $76,250 as the initial down payment and demanded another 10k after the demolition in order to continue the project. The project never continued. I am currently suing him and we expect to get a judgment in my favor since he cannot afford a lawyer, but there is no judgment yet. We also do not expect, even with the judgment, to be able to get any of the money back; i.e. he spent it all. 

Can I claim this as theft on my tax return, and if so... what documentation will I need for support?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

87k Paid to a General Contractor who I am now suing for Fraud - Can I claim this as theft?

No.

The tax treatment of personal casualty losses and thefts is changed under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. Pursuant to the TCJA, the itemized deduction for personal casualty and theft losses is temporarily limited in tax years 2018 through 2025 solely to losses attributable to federally-declared disasters.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies