Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nauhoque
Returning Member

6th year f1 student --- Issues with 1099-MISC and 8843

Hi, according to Sprintax, I am a US resident for tax purposes, and I should use TurboTax. I received two different forms (1099-MISC and 1042-S) from my university. I noticed there is no way to include the 8843 form (that was used to get the treaty). There are a few other issues I am facing described below:

1. About my 1099-MISC, the TurboTax system is asking me "A link to schedule C or another form is something we need to get your info in the right place". But the 1099-MISC form I received, does not include anything like "schedule C".  What do I do?

2. How to include 8843 to claim the treaty in TurboTax?

3. TurboTax is suggesting some tax return (when I entered $0 as the third stimulus - it is assuming that I was a resident last year and I think the return amount is including that). I am very confused about how to fix it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

1.  A 1099-MISC is for a variety of different types of income.  The system thinks that you received self-employment income and had it reported to you on a 1099-MISC.  If that is the case - if this was a regular job that you had that just paid you and didn't take taxes out - then you should enter the 1099-MISC in the self-employment section and also enter any expenses that you had.  If the 1099-MISC represents payments that were not for a job of some kind then you will enter it as 'Other Income' and say that it was 'not an attempt to earn money.'

2.  Unfortunately, TurboTax does not support form 8843.  You have to go back to Sprintax to use it.

3.  That third stimulus is based on your 2021 income.  If you were a resident for all of 2021 and you didn't get the stimulus then you qualify for it now on your 2021 tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nauhoque
Returning Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer my queries.

About answer 2: Sprintax is for non-residents. Since it is my 6th year as an F1 visa holder, I am considered a resident for the tax-paying purpose only from this year. Sprintax has a partnership with TurboTax and they directed me here. Now, how can an F1 visa holder with resident status claim the treaty that we were claiming using 8843?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Sorry.  Residents for tax purposes are not required to file form 8843.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies