turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

6% Penalty on Excess Contribution Calculation

In year 2023 I made a contribution of 6500 to traditional IRA then later converted (back door) to Roth IRA with the amount of 7000. This resulted in a penalty. My question is why does Turbo Tax take 6% of 7000, when it should've been 6% of 500?

Connect with an expert
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

6% Penalty on Excess Contribution Calculation

Please verify that you followed the right steps to enter the conversion. Do not select that you recharacterized the contribution in the IRA contribution section. Do not enter a Roth IRA contribution.


To enter the nondeductible contribution to the traditional IRA:

  1. Open your return
  2. Click “Deductions &Credits” on the top
  3. Click "I'll choose what to work on"
  4. Scroll down to “Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions” and click “Start
  5. Select “traditional IRA
  6. Answer “No” to “Is This a Repayment of a Retirement Distribution?
  7. Enter the amount you contributed
  8. Answer “No” to the recharacterized question on the “Did You Change Your Mind?” screen
  9. Answer the next questions until you get to “Any Nondeductible Contributions to Your IRA?” and select “Yes” if you had nondeductible contributions before this tax year
  10. Enter your basis in the Traditional IRA from your 2022 Form 8606 line 14 (if you had a basis in the prior year)
  11. On the “Choose Not to Deduct IRA Contributions” screen choose “Yes, make part of my IRA contribution nondeductible” and enter the amount (if you have a retirement plan at work and are over the income limit it will be nondeductible automatically and you only get a warning and then a screen saying $0 is deductible).


To enter the 1099-R conversion: 

  1. Click "Federal Taxes" on the top and select "Wages & Income"
  2. Click "I'll choose what to work on"
  3. Scroll down and click "Start" next to "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan (1099-R)
  4. Answer "Yes" to the question "Did You Have Any of These Types of Income?"
  5. Click "I'll Type it Myself"
  6. Choose "Form 1099-R, Withdrawal of Money from 401(k) Retirement Plans, Pensions, IRAs, etc."
  7. Click "Continue" and enter the information from your 1099-R
  8. Answer questions until you get to “What Did You Do With The Money” and choose “I moved it to another retirement account
  9. Then choose “I did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out money.” and enter the amount next to "Amount converted to a Roth IRA account"
  10. On the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen click "continue"
  11. Answer "yes" to "Any nondeductible Contribution to your IRA?" if you had any nondeductible contributions in prior years.
  12. Answer the questions about the basis from line 14 of your 2022 Form 8606 and the value of all traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs


Please see How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion? for instructions when using TurboTax Online.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies