Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

529 Distribution

I had my daughters 529 distribute an amount equal to the billed Tuition, Fees and Room and Board directly to the University. I didn’t take any other funds out of the 529 Account. After inputting the 1099Q and the 1099T (I added the Room and Board portions to those expense lines in addition to the 1099T expenses and the program indicated my daughter needed to add $2,300 to her income on her tax filing. If the amount distributed equals the qualified expenses there shouldn’t be taxable income to my daughter correct? 

She did have $4,700 in earnings on her 529 account for the year but I didn’t think that growth was taxable. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

529 Distribution

Yes, be careful here, you may have exceeded qualified educational expenses. Make sure the 1099Q adds up to tuition plus qualified expenses, plus room and board (a qualified expense for 529). If she received scholarship or grants and uses some of that money on room and board in excess of the 529 it could become taxable. Especially, when Box 5 of the 1098T is more than Box 1 of the 1098T form. If not the case, the allocation may be wrong remember to distribute your 529 accordingly: 

• Tuition
  • Required material (purchased from school if grad student; may already be on 1098T)
  • Room and board
  • Other 529 qualified expenses

@Mump51 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies