Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401K Conversion to Traditional IRA - After-Tax Contribution Treatment Question

Hello - I transferred/converted $200,000 of the $250,000 total amount from my 401K to a rollover traditional IRA.  The conversion is a non-taxable event.  The 401K plan administrator, which also holds my rollover traditional IRA, allocated a % of the each of my 401K holding categories (i.e., before tax and after-tax contributions) to make up the $200,000 transfer.  About $2,000 (out of the $200,000 conversion) were "after-tax amounts" in my 401K.  Of this $2,000, about $400 was contributed by me initially (with after-tax money), and $1,600 were “investment gains” on the $400 over the years.

Total 401K - $250,000

Transfer from 401K to rollover traditional IRA - $200,000

“After Tax” portion in the rollover - $2,000

My after-tax contributions - $400

Investment gains on my after-tax contributions - $1,600

On the 1099R form for this 401K conversion to traditional IRA event, Box 1 “gross distribution” shows $200,000, Box 2a “taxable amount” is blank, Box 5 “employee contributions/Designated Roth contributions….” shows $400, and Box 7 shows code “G” with IRA/SEP box unchecked.

My questions are:

1. The after-tax amount of $400 in the rollover traditional IRA should not be taxed again since I already paid tax on it.  However, this amount went into the rollover traditional IRA account, and for year 2023 the rollover is not a taxable event.  Since this is not a taxable event for 2023 anyway, how would I need to distinguish the after-tax amount of $400 so it won’t be taxed in the future when I pull money out the rollover IRA or convert the money to Roth, which will be a taxable event?  Otherwise, I’ll have to pay tax on the $400 that is “after-tax money”.  Would I track it on Form 8606 or some other form?
  2. The “investment gains” on my after-tax contribution are also in the rollover traditional IRA.  Since the gains were not “contributed directly by me”, they would be taxable when I pull the money out of the rollover traditional IRA in the future?
  3. When I used TurboTax Premier to input this 1099R as a test, I can’t find the $400 in Box 5 of 1099R shown anywhere on the TurboTax generated tax forms.  The screen input that I used were:  

Input - “Retirement Plan..”, “IRA..(1099R)”, “this money did not roll over to a designated Roth 401K”, “this money wasn’t roll over to a Roth IRA…”

Is there a form that is supposed to show that the $400 “after-tax money” will not be taxable?  Did I input the 1099R incorrectly, or is there a bug in TurboTax that the software can’t address this?  Or did my 401K administrator do the conversion incorrectly and the after-tax amount should have been converted to a Roth IRA instead of a traditional IRA? 

Please advise.  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies