Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

3520 filing date and cost basis for depreciation - foreign inherited property

Hello experts have a few questions and looking for guidance. 

Y2023

Mother died leaving her rental property without a registered will 

My siblings agreed to settle the property to me and started the registration process

I started collecting rent in my account.

Y2024

Property officially registered in my name..it was a long process overseas. 

Question 

1. Is 3520 due the year (2023) when she died or when the property was officially registered to me (2024)

2. In 3520 do I report the FMV on her death date or the date when the sibling settlement was registered?  Is this the cost basis for depreciation calculation? 

3. I am reporting the rental income in 2023 as I was receiving it in my account even though the official property transfer occurred only in 2024. Is that fine?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Rsvp2024 , while it may not be that important, I would :

(a) file form 3520 for the year 2023  -- because  it is effectively a beneficial ownership , you collected rent, behaved as if it is yours  and lastly your siblings ( other inheritors behaved as if it is yours ).  Note that TurboTax does not support  form 3520 --- please download from   www.irs.gov, fill, sign, date and mail-in to address shown on the instructions.

(b)  Note that the your basis in the property ( by inheritance ) is the FMV of the asset on the  date of passing of the decedent.

(c)  You will need to recognize the  income nature of the property  by filing schedule-E and depreciation based on the Asset value ( non-land portion) -- depreciable value.

(d) if you own or have signature authority over any foreign accounts  you do come under  FBAR ( form 114 at FinCen.gov, only on-line filing ) and FATCA regs.

Is there more I can do for you ?

View solution in original post

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Rsvp2024 , valuation  at Mom's death but 3520 date would be the settlement date  .

Does this make sense ?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Rsvp2024 , while it may not be that important, I would :

(a) file form 3520 for the year 2023  -- because  it is effectively a beneficial ownership , you collected rent, behaved as if it is yours  and lastly your siblings ( other inheritors behaved as if it is yours ).  Note that TurboTax does not support  form 3520 --- please download from   www.irs.gov, fill, sign, date and mail-in to address shown on the instructions.

(b)  Note that the your basis in the property ( by inheritance ) is the FMV of the asset on the  date of passing of the decedent.

(c)  You will need to recognize the  income nature of the property  by filing schedule-E and depreciation based on the Asset value ( non-land portion) -- depreciable value.

(d) if you own or have signature authority over any foreign accounts  you do come under  FBAR ( form 114 at FinCen.gov, only on-line filing ) and FATCA regs.

Is there more I can do for you ?

@pk Thank you for the prompt response and for the detailed answers. 

Hypothetically speaking, if I filed 3520 in 2024, would the date of bequest be mom's date of death in 2023 or the sibling settlement date in 2024?

Truly appreciate your service to this community. 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Rsvp2024 , valuation  at Mom's death but 3520 date would be the settlement date  .

Does this make sense ?

Yes, makes sense. Thanks again !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies