Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

3% withholding for sale of land in Ga.

3% withholding for land sale in Georgia:

I’m having difficulty filing a Ga.State income tax form.

In 2022 my family and I sold vacant land in Ga. we where non-residents and the closing attorneys withheld 3% of the sale price. My sister who had an income of 65k told me her CPA was able to get back all her withheld sales tax. When I fill out the GA. Income tax form on the TurboTax program it tells me we owe money. 
My sister says that her CPA said Ga. has very generous tax withholding refunds for people over 65 years old. We are both over 65 and my wife and I file jointly with double the income of sister who is single.

I wanted to add we never got a answer to our question although we did have a couple of replies.

I called the CPA of 30 years my sister uses and he assured me the TurboTax program was wrong because it keep transferring SS income from the federal side to the Ga. return and begin having us look for any form or worksheet that ends in “NR”(non-resident) that we could enter the taxable amount minus the cost basis. 
It appears your tax expert help day do not help us very disappointed…You seem to want us pay you $99 to point out your tax software problems. I can do that for free right here……????

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

3% withholding for sale of land in Ga.

You are a Georgia non-resident so you need to file a non-resident return.  Georgia will not tax your social security income as a non-resident.  You should first finish your federal return and then do the Georgia return and then your state return (if you have one).  Make sure you do those things in that order.

Once you get to the Georgia return make sure that you go through all of the steps to tell Georgia that the only Georgia income that you have is from the sale of that property.

@karenbubba 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies