Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

basm2002

2023 Turbotax Deluxe with the latest update won't allow "no" for student status. It keeps forcing me to select "yes" during Smartcheck. Can't efile until yes is ticked

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

2023 Turbotax Deluxe with the latest update won't allow "no" for student status. It keeps forcing me to select "yes" during Smartcheck. Can't efile until yes is ticked

Sounds like your computer is caught in a loop.  Let's clear your history and cookies then reboot.

Cookies are small files that temporarily store data on your computer. We use them to personalize your experience so you see information you already entered and not items that are irrelevant or repetitive.

On rare occasions, they may make your browser think you already did something that you still need to do. To fix that, you'll need to delete (clear) the cookies from your browser.

Each browser has a slightly different method for deleting cookies. Choose the browser you're using:

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
basm2002

I am using the Desktop version of Turbotax Deluxe, not the online version.  I am not sure how to delete cookies in the desktop software itself.

One thing I didn't mention was that I claimed my dependent's 1098-T, not for myself.  My guess is that there is a wrong logic somewhere in the flow, thinking I am the student, which is not the case.  I did not answer any question regarding my student status during the interview process.  Yet, Turbotax voluntarily selected "No" for the student status for the year for me and selected "Not Applicable" for the next question in the form.  However, it prompted me to have selected "Yes" during the review process.
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you selected yourself as the student that would show on the 1098-T Tuition Statement and might be causing the error.

Since you're using TurboTax Desktop, please switch to FORMS (top right corner) and look at that worksheet. 

Look at the top of the worksheet where the "Identify Student (required)" is listed.

You can also look at the Personal Wks for each person listed on the return.  On this worksheet, look at Part II question 3. 

If you are listed as a student in error, you can correct it directly in Forms, or return to that interview section in "Step-by-Step" mode. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
basm2002

Apparently, the student status on my Personal Worksheet was not filled in during the initial interview process causing inconsistent info between the Personal Worksheet and Student Worksheet.  Instead of prompting me to fill in the missing answer "No" for the student questions in Part II of the Personal Worksheet, it forced me to select "Yes" in the Student Worksheet during the Smart Check step.

Once I select "No" for question 3 in Part II of the Personal Worksheet, it resolves the error.

basm2002

I should also add.  I have to manually correct the Personal Worksheet.  It would have been better if the prompted correction should have been in the Personal Worksheet rather than forcing me to select "Yes" for form Student Worksheet during the Smart Check process.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies