turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2023 taxes was filed by someone who stolen my identity

Connect with an expert
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

2023 taxes was filed by someone who stolen my identity

If this is a case of identity theft vs someone just misentering their SSN you should take the following additional steps


Credit Agencies

1) Report the identity theft to the fraud department of one of the following reporting agencies as soon as possible. They must notify the other two agencies.

  • Equifax: equifax.com
  • Experian: experian.com
  • TransUnion: transunion.com

2) Request a copy of your credit report and request that only the last four digits of your Social Security number be placed on the report.

3) Close accounts that you think have been compromised or opened fraudulently.

4) Inform the credit bureaus and the credit issuers (in writing) of any fraudulent accounts and incorrect information.

5) Obtain replacement credit cards with new, secure account numbers and destroy any old cards.

6) Notify those who have received your credit report in the last six months to alert them to any disputed, fraudulent or incorrect information.

7) Confirm that an extended fraud alert (seven years) is placed on your credit report.


Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

1) Report the crime to the FTC to establish an Identity Theft Affidavit.


Local Police

1)Report the crime to your local police or sheriff’s department. Make sure to prompt as much documented evidence as possible.

2)Verify that the report lists the fraudulent accounts and keep a copy of the report.


State Tax Agency

1) Contact your state tax agency to report the theft. Some agencies may require a police report and/or the IRS affidavit.


Other Agencies and Organizations

1) U.S. mail fraud: Contact your local postal inspector.

  • Online: postalinspectors.uspis.gov
  • Phone: 800.275.8777

2) Social Security number misuse — non-IRS issues:

-Check your earnings record to make sure no one is using your SSN to obtain work. Call your local Social Security Administration (SSA) office if something looks inaccurate.

-Contact the SSA Inspector General to report Social Security benefit fraud, employment fraud, or welfare fraud.

  • Online reporting resources:

- socialsecurity.gov/oig

- Fraud Reporting Form

  • SSA fraud hotline: 800.269.0271


As to filing your 1040 and state returns, if applicable, they will have to be mailed. Be sure to use a method to track them or get proof of delivery

with your Federal 1040 include form 14039 identity theft affidavit

as noted state returns may require this or some other form

if you are due a refund, be prepared for a long wait. The IRS admits it taking them on average 650 days to resolve identity theft issues (as updated on their website 5/10/2024)




message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies