Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jadaadams44
Returning Member

2023 and 2024 W-4 Form

Do I need to check the box for the Step 2(c): Multiple Jobs section for the W-4 2024 &2023 form, if my estimated tax withholding is $0 from the Tax Withholding Estimator?

I currently am employed with a staffing agency that has side gig jobs that are not steady income and provide different types of work and work positions throughout the year,  and I have a part-time seasonal job that I started a few days ago. So would those two jobs be considered as only two jobs for section 2(c) on the w-4 form? I was trying to determine how to estimate it regarding the side gig job (staffing agency). I estimated the amount with using the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator that resulted in $0, I assume that will be estimated around that time, because I also plan to work a full-time job this fall 2024 season. So for a new w-4 form around the fall 2024 season, my circumstances will hopefully change job-wise by then.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

2023 and 2024 W-4 Form

If you have two part-time jobs, I'd consider that as one job. When you have a full-time job later in the year, and another part-time one, then you can say you have another job. 

Also, try using this TurboTax W-4 Calculator

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jadaadams44
Returning Member

2023 and 2024 W-4 Form

So basically my side gig job (staffing agency) and current new part time job is considered to be part-time jobs? So I don’t need to check the box for step 2(c) for “two jobs” on the W-4 Form? 

jadaadams44
Returning Member

2023 and 2024 W-4 Form

@KristinaK 

Okay so, I did use the TurboTax W-4 Calculator, and the results were $0 for everything. I put zero when it asked the question on the TurboTax W-4 Calculator: "How many jobs do you expect to hold this year?" I choose 2 for the side gig job (staffing agency) and the part-time seasonal job that I started last week. I put zero for everything for the part-time seasonal job because I don't expect, so far, to work longer after August 2024 and I haven't got paid for my first pay yet. Therefore, do I leave the step 2: multiple jobs as blank? including the step 4:Other Adjustments blank as well?

KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

2023 and 2024 W-4 Form

Let me clarify my assumptions. I am assuming that you have one job that has tax withholdings (you are issued a W-2 for it). That's why you technically, have one job. I am also assuming that the side gig is treated as self-employment income and there are no tax withholdings (instead of a W-2, you will be receiving a 1099-NEC). 

Based on that, you probably want to add your expected net income from the side gig on line 4 of the W-4.  Alternatively, you don't include that income on line 4 but instead pay estimated tax payments to cover that income. 

As an example for estimated tax payments, I ran the numbers through the TurboTax Calculator (see screenshot), and based on my numbers, I would owe an additional $3,699. This should be paid quarterly to the IRS (remember, there is also state tax due, if applicable to you). Read more about Estimated Tax Payments here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jadaadams44
Returning Member

2023 and 2024 W-4 Form

@KristinaK 

The side gig (staffing agency) is not self-employment, because I received 2023 W-2 Form this year. And on the 2023 W-2 Form it had no federal income tax withholding. I also received a refund from filing my taxes for this year from the side gig (staffing agency) and another job last year. I left the 2023 and 2024 W-2 Form for Step 2 (c) and Step 4 blank.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies