Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening NOW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2023 Amended Return and IRS Letter

Hi. I received a letter from the IRS about making the payment. I did not pay all of the original amount when I filed my original return. I amended my return, my balance due was less than the original return and I paid that amount. Now the IRS wants me to pay the difference amount and interest and penalties. I'm unsure, why the IRS calculated an interest and penalty on my original return amount and required me to pay the difference. I thought the IRS would make some adjustments after processing my amended return. What should I do in this situation?

I checked my amended return online, and my amended return's status said: "Your amended return was received on April 15, 2024, and it is being processed." There is a N/A for the "adjusted and completed" steps, so does it mean the IRS denied my amended return? How can I know about the denial or acceptance of my amended return? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

2023 Amended Return and IRS Letter

it just means that the IRS has yet to process the amendment.   it takes a minimum of 20 weeks and the IRS is currently processing what they received in March (according to their website dashboard).

I would just sit tight and do nothing until the amendment is processed.  Once they see that the requests for more money and the related interest should go away. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies