Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2023 1099-INT missing penalty information but there is also no interest in 2023

Hello, I'm having a strange situation with my credit union.  I closed a CD (early withdrawal) on the first day of 2023, but all of the interest from that CD showed up on my 2022 1099INT.  The withdrawal penalty was charged on the first day of 2023. I asked them if I would get a 2023 1099 with box 2 showing the penalty, and they said no, because there is no interest in 2023, there will be no 1099.  So to get around that, I purposely opened another small CD in 2023 just to get over $10 of interest from this C.U.  But I'm not hopeful they will put the penalty on that 1099-INT.  How do I proceed if they don't, and don't offer to correct it? Can I still file electronically, or do I have to send all paper forms with proof of the penalty paid and their "error"?  Is there a place to show this on Turbotax to where I can still file electronically safely? The penalty is significant, around $800. As of now my plan would be to just put it under Misc Income as a negative with a description.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would report the penalty even though they are not issuing a 1099-INT.  It's very important to keep your documentation should you need it later.  Use the following steps to enter your penalty.

• Search (upper right magnifier) > Type 1099int > Use the Jump to... link > Start or Review your entry for the penalty
  • Be sure to enter the interest earned and the penalty for TurboTax to process the information

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would report the penalty even though they are not issuing a 1099-INT.  It's very important to keep your documentation should you need it later.  Use the following steps to enter your penalty.

• Search (upper right magnifier) > Type 1099int > Use the Jump to... link > Start or Review your entry for the penalty
  • Be sure to enter the interest earned and the penalty for TurboTax to process the information

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies