Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

swapd29
Returning Member

2021 Tax filing on H1b visa

Hi Guys,

I am on H1B visa since 2012 and i have filed through either paper filing or through CPA in past. I am planning to self file my 2021 taxes ( Married and joint file). Can i use turbox tax premier to file my taxes on H1b visa and for my dependents? Just want to confirm. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

2021 Tax filing on H1b visa

TurboTax Premier will work for you as long as neither of you are self-employed and need to deduct business-related expenses.   

Also you must be legal residents of the USA to use TurboTax.   TurboTax does not support tax filing for Non-Residents (1040-NR).   Your spouse and each dependent must have either a Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number in order to be claimed as a dependent.  

The IRS uses two tests—the green card test and the substantial presence test—for assessing your alien status. If you satisfy the requirements of either one, you’re considered a resident alien for income tax purposes; otherwise, you’re treated as a non-resident alien.

If you're an alien with a green card, meaning the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service allows you to reside in the country legally, you are a resident alien. However, if you don’t have a green card and spend at least 31 days in the U.S. during the current tax year and a total of 183 days during the last three tax years (inclusive of the current tax year), you’ll usually satisfy the physical presence test and are also treated as a resident alien.  

If you have a nonresident spouse, see Nonresident Alien Spouse.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies