Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BrianKH2
Returning Member

2021 Tax data appears to be corrupted now

Main issue: 

Updating TuboTax 2021 in March 2022 and rerunning it gives very different results from my filing of April 10, 2021. Similarly, running TurboTax 2022 in March 2022 gives (the same) very different results for 2021 (in the Two Year and Tax History forms) from my filing of April 10, 2021. It is clear that the “new" values for 2021 are incorrect

Overview:

- TurboTax user for 15+ years
- In 2021 and 2022, downloaded TurboTax Desktop Advanatage Deluxe onto my MacBook Air (2018), now running Ventura 13.2.1
- Filed 2021 taxes on April 10, 2021, and saved a pdf file of the return
- Running TurboTax 2022 on March 7, 2022
- Tried to run TurboTax 2021 on March 7, 2022 and first it updated before allowing me to access the 2021 return. Almost all computed quantities and some input quantities for 2021 are different from what I obtained in April 10, 2021.

Details:

- In both 2021 and 2022, I had no wages (retired), significant numbers for taxable interest, dividends, capital gains, and money withdrawn from retirement accounts. Both years I also made large charitable contributions. In 2021 I took an EV credit of $4500 and a home charging station credit. No dependents, no AMT, no unusual investments in either year.

- When running TurboTax 2022, there are Forms that give 2-year and 5 year histories. Some of the tax year 2021 results do not agree with those obtained last year. Specifically, the interest, dividend, and retirement inputs to 2021 are reproduced correctly in both re-running TurboTax 2021 and in the historical forms in the 2022 return.

- When rerunning the updated TurboTax 2021 :

* Form 8936 (electric vehicle credit) is completely missing.
  * On Schedule D, all Short Term Capital gains are completely missing.
  * On Schedule D, about a third of the amount of Long Term Capital Gain is missing

Without looking further, it is clear that the information in the 2021 file (or the software’s interpretation of it) has been truncated in such a way that some stock sales and forms completely vanish.

Fortunately, the carry-over quantities (from 2021 to 2023) appear to be correct, as far as I have looked.

Very odd!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies