turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019 tax return rejected for a claimed dependent

My taxes were rejected apparently for a dependent who was claimed already. Turbo tax had me refile twice and both times they were rejected. Turbo tax had me complete the fix my tax option and informed me that the correction was made and prompted me to refile but it’s getting rejected for the same reason. I believe turbo tax didn’t remove the dependent 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

2019 tax return rejected for a claimed dependent

You can see whether the dependent is still shown on your tax return or not by looking at form 1040 in the Dependents section near the top of the 1040. If the dependent is still there and you want to remove the dependent, you can go to the Personal Info section and edit the dependent and delete the dependent. 

If you are the one who has the right to claim the dependent, you can leave the dependent on your return and print and mail it. The IRS will process it and send your refund and later in the year will request information from both parties who claimed the dependent to support their claim. Whoever had the right will get to keep any tax benefits resulting from the claim and the one who did not have the right will have to pay back any benefits along with possible penalties. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies