Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2018 backdoor roth question

I was doing some research on how the 3.8% tax on investment income would impact me. it got me to looking at my 2018 taxes. I see something I don't understand in regards to my backdoor roth. I can't download the software. Trying to see if i made a mistake on my backdoor roth. Can anyone help?

On my 1040A:

Line 4a: Shows 5,500

Line 4b: Shows 0

Line 6 however, shows a value that includes line 4a. So, it appears my IRA got input in as taxable income.

My form 8606 15c shows taxable amount of 0, as does line 18

Did i pay taxes i shouldn't have?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I assume that you mean Form 1040.  There was no Form 1040A in 2018.

Line 6 is the sum of lines 1, 2b, 3b, 4b, 5b and Schedule 1 line 22.  The amount from Schedule 1 line 2 should  be present next to line 6, but check Schedule 1 anyway.  If you used TurboTax to prepare your 2018 tax return, it's doubtful that line 6 would show anything other than this sum unless you used an override to enter a different value on line 6, preventing you from e-filing.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

@craigin805 suggest going back and checking the math again.  Line 4b is the taxable amount and you state that was zero.  The right hand column are the taxable amounts so I am hard-pressed to understand how Line 4a could be part of Line 6.  are you sure? 

dmertz
Level 15

I assume that you mean Form 1040.  There was no Form 1040A in 2018.

Line 6 is the sum of lines 1, 2b, 3b, 4b, 5b and Schedule 1 line 22.  The amount from Schedule 1 line 2 should  be present next to line 6, but check Schedule 1 anyway.  If you used TurboTax to prepare your 2018 tax return, it's doubtful that line 6 would show anything other than this sum unless you used an override to enter a different value on line 6, preventing you from e-filing.

Thanks, the sum of schedule A line 22 happens to be the same as the sum of 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b and 4a. Just a coincidence. Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies