Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

irgz
Level 2

2 W2's 1099-NEC and 1099 MISC taxation

Hi all,

Usually taxes are simple for me with TurboTax. I use TurboTax for years. Fill up forms and if amount more or less ok - I just pay and move on. This year tax preparation became a bit difficult to me because the number I have to pay is a bit too much and I decided to dig. 

Using TurboTax Home and Business. 

Here is a simple data:

2 W2's are bringing $165k

1099-NEC $15400

1099-MISC $2727

3 kids

Aftercare $4000.00

Mortgage 

TurboTax saying Standard Deduction. No state tax.

Overall, after adding W2's, minor kids and their aftercare, car registration and mortgage I am getting +$689.

Once I add MISC and NEC ( before QBI and some small expenses, I am getting -$5600.

From 18k it is almost 34%.

Here is a caveat, I didn't paid estimated taxes, my bad, the TurboTax is saying the estimated taxes for my NEC and MISC are about $2400 - which I am obviously agree to pay. But what is with another numbers?

If someone could explain how is this approximate 34% being calculated - that would be great!

Thank you so much!

p.s. never posted here before, if it needs to be moved to some other section of this forum - please move it. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

irgz,

Most likely didn't need the full Home and Business, but to switch you would have to clear and start over.  We do returns like this in the AARP Tax-Aide without charge.  (No need to join AARP and you only have to be 18 or older.)

Anyhow, a couple of questions.  What is your filing status?  Married filing jointly?  Head of Household?  And is the MISC payment for a self-employed contract job?  (The NEC form is definitely one.)

irgz
Level 2

Filing jointly. 1099-MISC issued for YouTube monetization by Google. 

One quick observation is that you are on the hook for 15.3% Self-Employment Tax on the NEC and MISC income.  If you aren't able to claim expenses for them, this adds about $2,700 to the tax bill.

irgz
Level 2

Am I understanding it right that I have to pay 15.3% + whatever it adds up on income tax?

Form 1040 would report

$165K wages,

$18.127K self-empl. income

-$1.281K self-empl. tax deduction

$181.846K AGI

-$25.9K std ded.

-$3.369 QBI

$152.577K taxable income

$24.801K regular tax (16.25%)

-6.8K child credits

+2.561K self-empl tax

20.562K tax

As you are in the 24% tax bracket, I don't know where you got the $18K number, but your tax is indeed about 35% higher than $18K.

Correct.  Self employment tax is added to the regular tax to capture the Social Security and Medicare taxes on wages.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies