Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2 beneficiaries in an estate but only one 1099 issued

My bank issued one 1099 to the estate, but there were 2 beneficiaries and that money has been dispersed.   Do I need to adjust the 1099 manually, ask the bank to issue 2 separate 1099's or do something  else.  It is from an IRA that was rolled into a trust before being divided so was told that taxes are due. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
M-MTax
Level 10

Does the 1099-R have the estate's EIN? What tax ID number is on the 1099? If it's the EIN of the estate you're going to have to file a 1041.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

Does the 1099-R have the estate's EIN? What tax ID number is on the 1099? If it's the EIN of the estate you're going to have to file a 1041.

since it was issued to the estate and I assume it was the estate's FEIN on the form, it's the estate that reports it on its form 1041. it pays the tax on it, if any unless the income was distributed in accordance with the governing documents. then it issues k-1's to the beneficiaries to report the income they received.

Thank you!!!  Now I understand.   I should have excluded the estate 1099 on the bank import.  Will do that and then figure out where the 1041 (schedule k-1) turbotax form is!  Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies