turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

19-year student with scholarship - dependent or independent

Hi

My 19-year old kid is full time student, received $25457 as scholarship and fully supports her. No other income. I understand scholarship is "unearned" income and read somewhere that to be independent, for tax purposes, should more than 50% of expenses from "earned" income. I would appreciate if you would clarify this situation.

1. Shall I claim her as my dependent as she has only has "unearned" income?

2. Should I not claim her as dependent as she pays 100% of her expenses?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

No, you should not claim her as a dependent.  According to the tax code:  Whether or not a scholarship is recognized as taxable income, it and educational expenses figure in the support tests for dependents. A qualifying child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support during the tax year.  Based on the information you provided you cannot claim your daughter as a dependent.  

If your daughter's scholarship would otherwise be 100% tax free, she may want to treat part of it as taxable in order to qualify for an education that otherwise would not be available.  For more information see the section on How to maximize your scholarships and tax credits in the following TurboTax Help Article:  

Taxes for Grads: Do Scholarships Count as Taxable Income?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

No, you should not claim her as a dependent.  According to the tax code:  Whether or not a scholarship is recognized as taxable income, it and educational expenses figure in the support tests for dependents. A qualifying child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support during the tax year.  Based on the information you provided you cannot claim your daughter as a dependent.  

If your daughter's scholarship would otherwise be 100% tax free, she may want to treat part of it as taxable in order to qualify for an education that otherwise would not be available.  For more information see the section on How to maximize your scholarships and tax credits in the following TurboTax Help Article:  

Taxes for Grads: Do Scholarships Count as Taxable Income?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies