Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

debhurley

1120S K-1 Box 17 Code AD Shareholder Medical Premium

Editing this message:

Withdraw my question, as I got the form to update with needed information so there is no taxable effect to this item.  Let me know if I'm wrong but I think it's figured out.

Original question:

I have an 1120S K-1 with item in Box 17 Code AD Medical Insurance Premium for > 2% shareholders $ figure.  This information was not provided on the employee W-2  where wages were paid.   Using Turbo Tax 2022, entered the Box 17 Code AD item and it says this item is not used in program calculations.  Switched to FORMS and the form says "* Not provided for in program. Manually enter on appropriate tax form". 

This Code AD Premium figure needs to be manually input on the forms.   I believe it goes on Schedule 1, Line 8z  Other Income. I cannot get Turbo Tax to input the Code AD amount of premium paid in the Schedule 1.  Using override, I cannot get the line to allow me to input a description as well as calculate the figure into the form.

I successfully was able to enter the Schedule 1, Line 17, Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction for the same amount using information from the TT help site.  Without the income being considered on the Schedule 1 line 8z, Turbo Tax is refunding incorrectly as it is only taking into consideration the S-E Health Ins Deduction.

Can I get help in how to input the K-1 Box 17 Other Information Code AD as income to offset the Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have an 1120S K-1 with item in Box 17 Code AD Medical Insurance Premium for > 2% shareholders $ figure.  This information was not provided on the employee W-2  where wages were paid.   Using Turbo Tax 2022, entered the Box 17 Code AD item and it says this item is not used in program calculations.  Switched to FORMS and the form says "* Not provided for in program. Manually enter on appropriate tax form". 

sorry, by law that contribution must be included in the W-2 box 1 if not then the S-Corp gets no deduction, and the shareholder gets no deduction.  

from the IRS

Notice 2008-1 states that if the shareholder purchased the health insurance in the individual’s own name and paid for it with his own funds, the shareholder would not be allowed an above-the-line deduction. On the other hand, if the corporation obtains and pays for health insurance in its name, covers the shareholder under the policy, and reports the premiums as W-2 wages to the shareholder, then the shareholder is allowed an above-the-line deduction. Similarly, if the shareholder purchased the health insurance in his own name but the S corporation either directly paid for the health insurance or reimbursed the shareholder for the health insurance and also included the premium payment in the shareholder's W-2, the shareholder would be allowed an above-the-line deduction.

The bottom line is that in order for a shareholder to claim an above-the-line (on their 1040) deduction, the health insurance premiums must ultimately be paid by the S corporation and must be reported as taxable compensation in the shareholder's W-2.

you can have the w-2's amended to properly reflect the premiums in your wages. 

if not and the S-Corp took a deduction for these premium, then the return is incorrect. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies