Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JSB15

1120S - Balance sheet not zeroing, 401k contributions, excess distributions

I'm nearly there, but the balance sheet is not zeroing out.

I believe the issue is that I took distributions instead of contributing towards my Solo 401k during the year, as I knew I could pay off the 401k liability (recorded on Payroll bills) before the tax deadline (i.e. in the following year, before March 15).

Summary of the situation:

• TT wants to say my retained earnings are zero, and instead reports the M-2 Wks Line G "Distributions in excess of retained earnings", but Line G doesn't show up on the Balance Sheet.
  • On the Balance sheet I booked the 401k contribution as a liability. 
  • According to my books, I have negative retained earnings, but TT doesn't want to let me say that.
  • With my distributions exceeding income (because the 401k contribution is booked as an expense, but not paid off in the fiscal year), I'm worried that I will have to pay Long Term Cap Gains on my personal return for the excess distribution

Example

• $100 gross profit
  • $50 expenses, of which $25 is a 401k contribution
  • $50 net profit
  • Instead of paying the $25 to the 401k plan, took it as a distribution (to pay later by tax deadline)
  • Made $25 in early 2023, paid off the 2022 401k liability
  • Therefore, $75 distribution in 2022
  • Excess $25 distribution

I suppose by question is two part, how do I get the balance sheet to balance? Do I manually override the Retained earnings (change from 0 to negative) to offset the excess distribution, or offset it as "Adjustments to shareholder equity", or?

How do I avoid the Cap gains? I suppose the value of the tax deferral (30-40%) is still better than the Cap gains, but it's not a great situation. I suppose I can pull the money back out of e-Trade (say its an excess contribution) but then I'd have to sell the stock and I think that would be a mess.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

1120S - Balance sheet not zeroing, 401k contributions, excess distributions

O tax basis at the start of the year. net profit $50. took a deduction but didn't pay the 401(k) amount thus took  $75 in distributions,.  sorry, you do have an excess distribution of $25. that $25 was supposed to be retained by the S-Corp to pay off the 401(k) liability. your balance sheet would show a $25 liability for the 401(k) and a deficit in retained earnings of $25.  run to a tax pro the return is due in 4 days.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies