turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hi8eR

1099R

In 2022, I moved funds from my 401(k) to a designated Roth 401(k).  It was an in-plan rollover (IRR).  I also paid the estimated federal taxes on this distribution in 2022 from a separate account.  I received a 1099R that listed the distribution in box 1 and $0.00 in box 2a.  In box 7 the code is "G" which says it was a direct rollover.  When I enter this information, TurboTax incorrectly tells me that I will get the federal taxes that I paid for this IRR process refunded.  How do I enter the information to reflect the correct data?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

1099R

It seems your 1099-R was not coded properly.  Code G is Direct rollover of a distribution to a qualified plan, a section 403(b) plan, a governmental section 457(b) plan, or an IRA.

For a direct conversion to a Roth IRA when the IRA owner is under age 59½, use code 2, Early distribution, exception applies. Code 2 lets the IRS know that the individual is under age 59½ but that he or she qualifies for certain exceptions.

Roth IRA conversion

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099R

@dmertz 

Do you have 2 codes?  Sometimes there are 2 codes, a number and a letter.

I'm not actually sure "2" or "G" are correct in this situation, but I don't know what would be correct.  But I suspect the codes are wrong, or you skipped half the code. 

dmertz
Level 15

1099R

Is any amount shown in box 5?

When TurboTax asked, did you correctly indicate that you rolled the distribution over to a Roth 401(k) or Roth 403(b)?

On an code-G Form 1099-R there can be no amount of tax withholding shown in box 4 or the state withholding boxes; tax withholding is not permitted on an IRR.

An IRR is reported with code G and no other code in box 7.

If you still are not seeing the correct amount being included on Form 1040 line 5b, try deleting the 1099-R and reentering it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies