Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Demie
Returning Member

1099R rollover box7 G

I had a 401 a Roth with company a. They mailed me a check to move it to company B (in 2 days). My 1099R has a gross amount line 1 $8000.00 line 2a taxable $0.0 zero. Box 5 $2700.00. Box 7 is G. The problem is $3000.00 went to a Roth (this was the after tax employee amount). I did a 1099R with the amount of 5000 line 2 is $0. Box 5 as $0.0. The second 1099R TT community said put the amount of box 5 on line one, that would leave me a difference of $300.

I am using TT Premium

So I'm not sure what to do, thank you for any help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

1099R rollover box7 G

ask your employer or custodian why a difference. you may need a corrected 1099-R.

dmertz
Level 15

1099R rollover box7 G

The code G (without being accompanied by code B), along with the amounts in boxes 1, 2a and 5 indicate that this distribution did not come from a Roth account in the 401(k) but instead came from the traditional account in the 401(k) which contained after-tax (not Roth) contributions.

What type of accounts (IRA?, 401(k)?) received the rollover at company B?

Demie
Returning Member

1099R rollover box7 G

The paper that I signed with the employer for company a said 401 a Roth. I really don’t know what company a really put it into. The paperwork from company a that accompanied the check says 401 a frozen employee after tax with $ amount, employer match $  amount, and 401 a frozen employer contribution $ Amount. to make things more complicated my employer changed to a new IRa tye in 2021 (401 a paperwork, said Roth or pretax ). My employer started with company a IRA first started as a 403B then my employer  changed it to a 401 an employee choice, Roth or pretax. I did get two 1099R from company a that had an amount zero tax due box one, and five were the same amount, box 2 tax amount 0 box 7H so I had no problems with that one. The problem I ran into was with the 1099R that has the 401(k) frozen employee after tax amount employer match amount and 401(k) frozen employer contributions. Because on the 1099R from company. A box 5 is a smaller amount than box one. After reading on TurboTax, it said to split it into two 1099. Our one with the pretax amount one with the after tax amount I can do that but the after tax amount box 1 is more than the amount in box 5. Company B put the after tax dollars (my contributions) into a Roth account and the pre tax dollars into an IRA. 
also, I do not understand why all of the 1099 Rs total is being included in income, even though it is not being taxed. Thank you for the reply and help I’ve never had so much trouble before 

dmertz
Level 15

1099R rollover box7 G

I'll assume that the code-H Form 1099-R and the code-G Form 1099-R came from the same 401(k) plan.

The code-H Form 1099-R reports a direct rollover from a Roth account in the 401(k) to a Roth IRA.  This rollover is separate from the rollover(s) reported on the code-G Form 1099-R which is from the traditional account in that same plan.

Since the rollover from the Roth account went to a Roth IRA (indicated by the code-H), I imagine that the code-G distribution was also rolled over to IRAs, which I think you are suggesting was split between a traditional IRA and a Roth IRA.  If so, you are correct that you must split the code-G Form 1099-R into two, one for the portion that went to the traditional IRA and another for the portion that went to the Roth IRA.

You first said $3,000 of the code-G distribution went to the Roth IRA, but your latest post and the $0 in box 2a of this Form 1099-R imply that only the $2,700 of after-tax money shown in box 5 went to the Roth IRA, so I don't know which is true.  If you actually did somehow deposit $3,000 of the code-G distribution into the Roth IRA, you diverted $300 of the pre-tax money to the Roth IRA and that would need to be reflected as taxable on your tax return, probably by submitting a substitute Form 1099-R showing $300 in box 2a for $3,000 portion that went to the Roth IRA.

Demie
Returning Member

1099R rollover box7 G

Thank you for your reply. What you said sounds correct but I have a piece of paper from company an explanation of the funds I received saying that 3000 was after tax amount. You are not the only one that thinks something doesn’t sound right. Told me my account was aThank you for your reply. What you said sounds correct but I have a piece of paper from company a explanation of the funds I received saying that 3000 was after tax amount. You are not the only one that thinks something doesn’t sound right. A told me my account was a Roth, but my employer Was allowed to choose whether to make their contributions Ask or after tax. And they chose pretax. So inside my Rock, which was a 401 a had after tax money from me and pretax money from my employer. Yes I agree. it sounds crazy. My guess on what to do was to make two separate 1099 hours one with my 3000 after tax money and use the money inbox. I’m not home. I forgot the number five the 2000 but then that amount is floating out there somehow so I wasn’t sure if that’s really what I should do   Thank you. 

Demie
Returning Member

1099R rollover box7 G

The paperwork from company a said it was a 401 an account. On the explanations of the breakdown on the check, it said employee after employee after tax $ amounts and employer pretax $ amounts. Company a said it can be a Roth and the employer can choose not to have it after tax, but choose their portion to be a pretax amount. That was not what I thought of Roth was, but that is what company a said the employer is allowed to choose. The paperwork from company a (1099R) said it was a 401 an account. On the explanations of the breakdown on the check, it said employee after tax amounts and Lawyer amounts. The paperwork I received from my employer, called it a 401 a Roth. The code G no code B, my guess is because it had after tax money from me and pre-tax money from my employer. I do not understand why the amount from my employee is not the same as inbox five (when I deduct my employer pretax amount) Box 5 is approximately $300 less. 
thank you!

Demie
Returning Member

1099R rollover box7 G

Thank you for your reply. According to the break back down from Company, a 3000 was after tax employee funds, (out of box one), box 2 says zero Box 5 says only 2700. That is a lot of my confusion. I did break it into 2 10 99s One for the after tax employee portion one for the pretax employee portion. I put the 2700 of box 5 on the Att 1099R. Company B put the money from the employee after tax portion in a Roth account and the employer portion pretax in an IRA account. Also, why is the total included in my income, even though it says taxes zero. Thank you for your time 

dmertz
Level 15

1099R rollover box7 G

"According to the break back down from Company, a 3000 was after tax employee funds, (out of box one), box 2 says zero Box 5 says only 2700. That is a lot of my confusion."

You'll have to ask the company-A plan about this discrepancy.  They can't both be right.

Demie
Returning Member

1099R rollover box7 G

Thank you, I agree will call them agronomists Monday. Thank you 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies