Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099NEC for my deceased husband

My husband passed away last year and I just received his 1099-NEC from his employer for his stock compensation on his death. I use TurboTax desktop version and put it in form 1099- NEC but it  only shows federal income tax, not including social security tax and Medicare tax. I just want to know do I have to pay to those two taxes and how can I get the TurboTax software to calculate those two taxes?

My husband had long term disability benefit from his employer since  Aug. 2019 and passed away May 2020.

Thank you very much for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

No.  The fica taxes (social security and medicare) are reported on form W2., while federal withholding can be reported on both W2 and 1099-NEC.  if form 1099-NEC showed witholding taxes, you may enter it on line 4, of form 1099-NEC on the income tax return. The deceased compensation income reported on  form 1099-NEC  is taxable to federal only (no FICA taxes) as other inocme on Schedule 1 of form 1040.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

No.  The fica taxes (social security and medicare) are reported on form W2., while federal withholding can be reported on both W2 and 1099-NEC.  if form 1099-NEC showed witholding taxes, you may enter it on line 4, of form 1099-NEC on the income tax return. The deceased compensation income reported on  form 1099-NEC  is taxable to federal only (no FICA taxes) as other inocme on Schedule 1 of form 1040.

Thank you very much for your reply. His 1099 NEC has no withheld tax.  I will just pay the federal tax only.

Thank you again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies