Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099MISC vs 1099 NEC

I work in a retail store and receive small commissions from manufacturers when I sell their products. They have always sent 1099MIS but this year some of the sent 1099NEC. The others still sent 1099MISC. I do not have a business I am just an employee   Can I file them all as MISC as before or do I have to file them as sent?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

1099MISC vs 1099 NEC

Mump51,

Short answer is file them as received just to be safe.

As to when 1099-NEC vs. 1099-MISC, the IRS says:

File Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation, for each person in the course of your business to whom you have paid the following during the year.
• At least $600 in:
    1. Services performed by someone who is not your employee (including parts and materials) (box 1); or
    2. Payments to an attorney (box 1). (See Payments to attorneys, later.)

File Form 1099-NEC or Form 1099-MISC to report sales totaling $5,000 or more of consumer products to a person on a buy-sell, a deposit-commission, or other commission basis for resale.

You must also file Form 1099-NEC for each person from whom you have withheld any federal income tax (report in box 4) under the backup withholding rules regardless of the amount of the payment. 

Trade or business reporting only. Report on Form 1099-NEC only when payments are made in the course of
your trade or business. Personal payments are not reportable. You are engaged in a trade or business if you
operate for gain or profit. However, nonprofit organizations are considered to be engaged in a trade or business and are subject to these reporting requirements. Other organizations subject to these reporting requirements include trusts of qualified pension or profit-sharing plans of employers, certain organizations exempt from tax under section 501(c) or 501(d), farmers' cooperatives that are exempt from tax under section 521, and widely held fixed investment trusts. Payments by federal, state, or local government agencies are also reportable.

Brandt8211
Returning Member

1099MISC vs 1099 NEC

If you receive either a 1099MISC or 1099NEC, you are NOT an employee!! NEC (non-employee compensation). As such, you are responsible for all social security and Medicare taxes. In most states you are not entitled to unemployment benefits or worker's comp. Just a heads up

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

1099MISC vs 1099 NEC

The manufacturer incentive payment (which is commonly called a spiff) is not self-employment income or business income, and you do not report it on Schedule C. Do not enter the 1099-NEC in TurboTax. Instead, follow the steps below to enter the income.

• Click the Federal Taxes tab.
  • Click Wages & Income.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on."
  • On the screen "Your 2022 Income Summary," scroll all the way down to the last section, "Less Common Income." Click the Start button for the last topic, "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C."
  • On the next screen, "Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income," scroll down and click the Start button for the last topic, "Other reportable income."
  • The next screen asks, "Any Other Taxable Income?" Click Yes.
  • On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a description and the amount. For the description enter "Manufacturer incentive payment from 1099-NEC". Click Continue.
  • On the next screen click Done.

The income will be reported on Schedule 1 line 8z with the description that you entered.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies