Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rgold9999

1099k cost basis balancing issue

TurboTax, I've been on with 9 different experts - and have spent over 10 hours trying to get this issue resolved. Your program has a clear gap.  I sold sporting tickets (just like the entry for concert tix on personal item sales) for a small profit.  The 1099k reported the total which included the vendor (Live Nation's) fees, as well as my own ticket costs. In trying to account for the cost basis, I am stuck in an infinite loop.

Box 1 of the 1099k reports what the vendor stated to the IRS

Below that I enter the amount that should not have been included (my cost basis - what I paid for the tix and fees)

the next tab is not applicable - as it gives two radio buttons for loss scenarios.

when I close it out - it gives me an error when I go to submit my taxes, showing the net profit that I made, where the form still expects the gross amount provided by the vendor.

if I replace it to that cost, it does not account for my cost basis and raises my taxes. 

Please simplify your program!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Assuming your sale was not a business report the total income and then report another 1099-K with a negative value equal to your cost basis. 

rgold9999

I understand how this will balance out...but that means I am creating a 1099k on my own? What do I put in for the Filer, or Filer Fed tax ID number.  This would just be a made up form and doesn't seem right. What if the Fed Government asks the filer to validate this form - they would say they know nothing about it.

I don't understand why the software can't account for this very common situation.  I am not a business, and we are talking about $1900 in total here....well under $20k.

Instead of a 1099-K do it with “other income” with the text adjustment for 1099-K cost basis”.

rgold9999

I took this step, but when I go to file, I still get the same error, and I have no ability to fill out form 8949 or the Capital Assets Sales Worksheet.

I get the message "Form 1099k has an amount from Linked Forms (1099k), but the sales proceeds on this worksheet don't match the payment amount from Form 1099k. Add Sales on this worksheet with sale proceeds to match the amount reported on Form 1099k.

I have no ability to enter into that space (8949 or Capital Assets).  I can't tell you how frustrating this simple submission has become.

Do you work for TurboTax?  Thank you for your reply.

Do this. 

You can report the amount in Part 1, Line 8z, Other Income of Schedule 1, Addition Income and Adjustments to Income and also report the the non-taxable amount in Part 2, Line 24z, Other Adjustments of the same form. This process adds an amount to your income and then subtracts an amount from your income while at the same time accounting for the amount shown on the 1099-K on your tax return so that it matches the IRS records.

No, I don’t work for TurboTax. I’m just a user trying to help people. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies