turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ematasily

1099g for overpayment to unemployment office is not a selection. no other options are similar. what should i do?

I received compensation of $1700 for an overcharge from the office of unemployment. The 1099G does not allow for this to be selected and I cannot find a similar option. How do I report this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

1099g for overpayment to unemployment office is not a selection. no other options are similar. what should i do?

It depends. If you received your 1099-G from your state unemployment office and it includes an amount that was overpaid to you, the action will depend when it was paid back to the state unemployment office.

1. Received unemployment in 2023 which included an overpayment and paid it back in 2023.  if that is the case you will reduce your unemployment by the amount of the repayment.

Then, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open your return > Search > Type 1099G > Click the Jump to... link
  2. Answer Yes to the question Were you required to repay unemployment benefits (uncommon)?
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you pay back any government unemployment from 2022 or earlier?  ONLY if you also repaid prior year benefits!
  4. Edit your 1099-G and in the box asking 2023 benefits repaid, Don't enter benefits repaid for 2022 or earlier. Enter only the amount of benefits received and repaid both in 2023.

If you did repay any benefit for amounts you received in a year before 2023, complete the next screen to enter those amounts.

Please update here if you have more questions and we can help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ematasily

I regret that I am not able to work through my situation using your directions.

The reason is that the benefits were a double payment - I repaid and UC overpayment and then had the amount deducted from weekly benefits. The double payment from me occurred in 2022. I recovered the payment in 2023 with the 1099G. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Use this link to enter your Form 1099-G.   Answer Yes, when asked if you received a 1099-G.   Enter the form exactly how it appears.   Don't check the box that says you paid back benefits in 2023.  When you are done and click on Continue, the next screen will say Other Uncommon Unemployment Benefits.   On that screen, answer YES.  Then go through the questions.  

You will get the screen below after you enter your 1099-G.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies