Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pslsgt

1099-R and Publication 575 (2021) Worksheet A

This is the first time I have ever used Turbotax.  I am a retired state of CT employee with a pension and I use form 1040-SR.  I have a 1099-R as my sole source of income that lists the Gross Distribution (box 1) but the taxable amount (box 2a) is not determined. Per IRS rules, I completed Publication 575 (2021) Worksheet A Simplified Method to calculate the taxable amount, which is less than the gross distribution.  I have the 2022 downloaded desktop version of Turbotax Deluxe.  The problem is that the step-by-step guidance does not ask the relevant questions from Worksheet A, which does not allow the correct taxable amount to be calculated.  It seems as though Turbotax does not acknowledge that Worksheet A even exists.   The worksheet is on page 49 of the publication available from the IRS website  (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p575.pdf).  There are 11 questions and 2 Tables on the worksheet that are crucial in calculating the taxable amount.  This info needs to go in boxes 5a and 5b of the 1040-SR.  The program will not allow me to manually enter the info into the boxes. I know what the numbers should be, but how do I get the info into the boxes using the Turbotax program.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

1099-R and Publication 575 (2021) Worksheet A

When you are typing in the 1099-R,  you can enter the taxable amount in box 2a. When the 1099-R is marked with taxable amount not determined, chances are box 1 as the taxable amount is wrong. Box 5 is a single entry showing the non-taxable amount. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies