turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-OID, Foreign Accounts

I'm a Mexican with temporary Visa Status, I'm not a US citizen nor have a green card, I work here in TN Visa. I have a bank checking account in Mexico so should I report this to the IRS? 

Do Mexicans have to report their own accounts? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@thanos_lord ,  once you have lived  in the USA for  more than six  ( approx ), you are taxed on world income and therefore have to report  (a) interest earned  in a foreign bank , just as if these were earned in the USA;  (b) foreign bank accounts that you own  and/or have ONLY signature authority over, if the total  of all such accounts  is equal or more than US$10,000 -- FBAR

Does this answer your  "pregunta o duvidas" or do you need more help ?

View solution in original post

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@thanos_lord  IRS does not begin  accepting returns  till Feb 12th but since you have already filed, the return may be held awaiting IRS acceptance.   Just to note  that if the aggragate amount  of all the foreign accounts is more than  US$10,000 then you would need to file the FBAR form -- this is not handled as part of your return.  You have to go online  to www.FinCen.gov and look for form 114 and  fill this out on line -- just info about the accounts  and balance on 12/31/2020.  There is  NO tax implication of  this filing but non-reporting can be penalized  and that penalty is pretty high.  So please go and fill out that form 114 -- you may have to do it each year -- this must be filed by 04/15/2021 i.e.  by the return filing day.

Stay safe

View solution in original post

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@thanos_lord ,  once you have lived  in the USA for  more than six  ( approx ), you are taxed on world income and therefore have to report  (a) interest earned  in a foreign bank , just as if these were earned in the USA;  (b) foreign bank accounts that you own  and/or have ONLY signature authority over, if the total  of all such accounts  is equal or more than US$10,000 -- FBAR

Does this answer your  "pregunta o duvidas" or do you need more help ?

@pk Hi champ, thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I didn't see your response earlier and I was kind of puzzled for the questions while completing my taxes online and for what I understood it was only required if I were to have around 50k or more in total. After answering those questions shown by the software or tool it didn't ask me more so it kinda skipped that step. Wish I could have had some guidance before filling this 😓

Thanks again for your reply, maybe next year I would have same doubts but for now I can't do anything at this point since my file its already sent.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@thanos_lord  IRS does not begin  accepting returns  till Feb 12th but since you have already filed, the return may be held awaiting IRS acceptance.   Just to note  that if the aggragate amount  of all the foreign accounts is more than  US$10,000 then you would need to file the FBAR form -- this is not handled as part of your return.  You have to go online  to www.FinCen.gov and look for form 114 and  fill this out on line -- just info about the accounts  and balance on 12/31/2020.  There is  NO tax implication of  this filing but non-reporting can be penalized  and that penalty is pretty high.  So please go and fill out that form 114 -- you may have to do it each year -- this must be filed by 04/15/2021 i.e.  by the return filing day.

Stay safe

@pk  , hi champ, thanks again for your reply, maybe no one has done this before from my fellow friends but just to be safe I just submitted the FBAR so hope I'm all set now. I forward looking to get insights next time I run into this puzzle things.

Cheers !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies