Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC

I am part of a group that receives products at no cost in exchange for using and reviewing those products. It was stated that I will receive a 1099-NEC for the retail value of the products at the end of the year. I know my value will be over the $600 Threshold, so where is that information entered on my tax forms since I'm not self-employed?? I know I'm responsible for taxes on the value of the products too. Is that tax percentage the same as my regular income or is it taxed differently?? Thanks!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

1099-NEC

Hi, 

Even if you didn't receive a 1099-NEC, if the income is over $600 or over, you still need to report the income in the self-employment income section of TurboTax. 

Here is an article about the self-employment tax: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/the-self-employment-tax/L8xXjolB4 

If you are self-employed, you are responsible for paying both the employer and employee portions of your Social Security and Medicare tax—a total of 15.3 percent on 92.35 percent of your net earnings from self-employment.

Thank you,

John

CPA

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099-NEC

I did read in other cases that the forms ask for Business Info (as in self-employment). I don't have that information, so how do I fill that portion in??

1099-NEC

Fill that portion in with as much detail as you can, it is right at the beginning of the self-employment section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies